SkyFi is designed for wireless telescope control. If you have a computer-controlled GoTo telescope, SkyFi can use the WiFi capabilities built into your Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to point your telescope in the sky.
- SkyFi now includes both USB and serial ports! That means SkyFi can now control the latest USB-only telescopes from iOptron and Meade, as well as other telescopes with RS-232 serial interfaces.
- SkyFi is very compact, barely larger than an iPhone. It can be easily attached to your telescope's mount or tripod; a strip of double-sided adhesive strap is included for that purpose.
Once powered on, SkyFi creates its own 802.11 wireless network. By default, this is an open wireless network called "SkyFi", but you can rename and secure it later on. Join this network from your iPhone, laptop, or other computer, and - voila! - you're ready to use SkyFi. As long as your computer or iPhone gets its IP address by DHCP, no additional network configuration is required.
SkyFi provides a standard DB-9 serial adapter to interface with your telescope. That means you can use your existing telescope serial cable - you don't need to buy (or build!) another. If you don't already have a telescope serial cable, Simulation Curriculum can supply one at additional charge; please specify your telescope model when ordering.
Finally, you'll also need a telescope control application running on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. SkyFi works seamlessly with SkySafari software running on Mac OS X, as well as the SkySafari app for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android.
Telescope Compatibility: SkyFi can wirelessly enable almost any telescope with a standard USB or RS-232 serial interface. Models that have been tested and are known to work with SkyFi include:
- Meade LX-200 Classic and GPS
- Meade LX-400 ACF with AutoStar #497 controllers
- Meade LX-600 / 800 / 80
- Meade ETX-LS / LT
- Meade ETX 90-125
- Meade LXD 55-75 / 650-750
- Meade LX 90
- Meade Magellan I
- Meade Magellan II
- Celestron NexStar 5i / 8i / GPS / SLT / SE / Advanced GT
- Celestron AVX / CGE / CGEM / CPC series
- SkyWatcher SynScan
- Orion Sirius / Atlas / SkyView Pro / SkyQuest XTg / StarSeeker / HDX
- iOptron SmartStar / MiniTower
- iOptron iEQ45 with 8406 controller
- iOptron 8407 / 8408 contollers
- Astro-Physics GTO
- Losmandy Gemini
- Vixen SkySensor 2000
- Vixen StarBook / Sphinx
- Sky Commander
- Losmandy DSC
- StellarCAT ServoCAT
- Starmaster Sky Tracker
- SiTech Controller
- Takahashi Temma 2
- Bisque Paramount + TheSkyX
- Tangent Instruments BBox Encoder System (and compatible)
- Celestron AstroMaster
- JMI NGC Max
- Lumicon Sky Vector
- Orion Sky Wizard / IntelliScope
- Takahashi Super Navigator
The baseline requirement for Celestron support in SkySafari 4/5 is Celestron firmware version 4.0 or higher, which is basically everything sold since 2008. This excludes the older Nexstar GT series, the original Celestron Nexstar series and the Celestron Ultima 2000. Note, the GT hand controllers can possibily be replaced with newer versions that will then work with SkySafari 4/5. Consult a Celestron dealer for more information
Some Meade ETX models (60/80) ship with the Autostar #494 controller. To make SkyFi work with these scopes, you need to replace the #494 Autostar controller (which does not have a serial port) with the #497 Autostar (which does).