The Omegon Proteus 120 MCI - one of the most sensitive planetary cameras around
The Omegon Proteus 120 MCI is a highly sensitive monochrome planetary camera at a super low price! Use its 1280x960 pixel resolution and set course to the planets in our solar system. The wide field of view is perfect, even for taking sharp images of the lunar surface. A driver and cable complement the camera, providing you with a highly useful package.
- highly sensitive Aptina chip (monochrome)
- large field of view and high 1.2 MP resolution
- perfect tracking for astronomy photos - ST 4 autoguider port
- permits exposure times of up to 16 minutes
- Aptina MT9M034 chip - incredible detail
- With a 1.2 MP resolution and 1280x960 pixels, the camera has a much higher resolution than the usual beginner's camera. Moreover, the Omegon Proteus is available at such an inexpensive price that it just has to be taken advantage of. The new Aptina MT9M034 chip is extremely low noise and has a quantum efficiency of up to 75%. This lets you capture even the smallest details on the chip when using short exposure times, which also improves the sharpness of the image.
- A huge reach - the Moon, planets and deep sky objects
- Imaging objects in the solar system is the specialty of this camera. It's great for imaging large regions on the lunar surface, or for teasing out details in the cloud bands on Jupiter using the special characteristics of the camera. But you don't need to stop there; this camera is also suitable for imaging the brighter deep sky objects.
- Can also be used as an autoguider
- This camera can also be used as a sensitive autoguider for helping produce your photos of galaxies and nebulae. Connect the camera directly to your mount using the standard ST-4 port. The Omegon Proteus will then give you perfectly tracked astronomy photos. Even if there are no bright guide stars in the field of view, the camera's sensitive chip and fast frame rate ensure that almost any star can be used for autoguiding.
- Fast readout time - up to 215 images per second
- You can select a suitable resolution for the object you wish to image and so benefit from the fast readout and short exposure time. You can expose using 1280x960 pixels and 35 frames per second, or using 320x240 pixels and 215 frames per second, for example.
- Included in delivery:
- Proteus camera
- driver software
- USB cable
- autoguiding cable
- metal storage box
The Proteus is a lower-cost version of the ZWO ASI 120MM. It uses the same chip and can be operated using the same driver.
The driver can be downloaded at:
Image acquisition can be carried out using freeware programs. SharpCapture is one good example:
This Proteus camera does not have a 1.25 inch filter thread. If you wish to use 1.25 inch filters, then the following adapter is also required a T-Adapter.
For RGB imaging, the purchase of a filter wheel and a filter set is necessary.
There are numerous freeware programs available for image processing. Autostakkert, Registax and Giotto are all good.
Information (in German) can be found at:
Autostakkert can be found at:
An instructional video (in German) on using Autostakkert can be seen at: