The ASI 071 MC Pro uses the proven Sony APS-C format chip, which is used in SLR cameras.The relatively large APS-C sensor (diameter: 28.4mm) in the ASI 071 MC Pro is combined with the advantages of an astronomy camera:
- electronic shutter - unlike DSLR cameras, there are no vibration problems with the mechanics.
- active cooling of up to 40°C below ambient temperature ensures low sensor noise. This allows long exposure times for dim nebulae and galaxies.
- high speed - up to 134fps (frames per second) are possible for planetary shots! This 'freezes' the air turbulence and reveal details on the Moon and planets.
- computer controllable - Windows, Mac OS, Linux. You can control the whole range of programs available, for example, SharpCap freeware.
- the camera uses USB 3.0 for rapid and loss-free data transfer. It will also work with USB 2.0.
- it comes with an AR clear glass filter to protect the camera. This allows full light transmission, including in the infrared range. Conversely, this means you will need an IR cutting filter if IR light needs to be blocked.
- the clear glass filter can also be heated to prevent fogging. The delivery includes desiccant cartridges, and these can also be re-ordered.
Supported resolutions and frame rates at 14Bit ADC: 4944×3284 10fps, 1920×1200 28fps, 1280×1080 33fps, 640×480 70fps, 320×240 134fps
ZWO ASI Pro Features:
The ASI Pro cameras include a 256MB DDR3 memory buffer to help improve data transfer reliability. Additionally, the use of a memory buffer minimizes amp-glow, which is caused by the slow transfer speeds when the camera is used with a USB 2.0 port.
ZWO ASI Pro cameras have an improved casing. There are four screws that seal the sensor chamber. Our camera design has been extensively tested and is very stable. Even when used in higher humidity environments, The camera will still work fine without dew problems.
ZWO ASI Pro cameras also contain a 2-stage TEC cooling system that enables deep cooling (40°C-45°C below ambient Temperature). This reduces sensor noise considerably and allowes you to take breathtaking astrophotos.
Cooled ZWO ASI cameras need a 12V power supply, If you don’t have one, please check the recommended accessories for a suitable power adapter.
Colour or mono? Black and white cameras have the advantage of higher sensitivity and resolution than colour cameras. However, more effort is required to obtain a colour image. You also need colour filters and a filter wheel
Software and drivers are available for free download on the manufacturer's website: http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/