Glossary > Telescope accessories > General > Type of build > Planetary & comet filters
Glossary | Telescope accessories | General | Type of build | Planetary & comet filters
Colour and pass filters for assisting planetary observation and photography.
With colour filters you can see fine details on the planets of our solar system such as:
- The polar caps and clouds on Mars.
- The bands and the Great Red Spot on Jupiter.
- Cloud structures on Venus.
These are just a few examples. Filters also increase the possibilities when observing the Moon and comets.
The filters are designed either as band filters with a central wavelength and a wide passband or as pass filters. The latter filters only allow light from a certain wavelength to pass through.
Differentiation from other filters:
- Colour filters are not to be confused with the L-RGB filters, which are required in astrophotography to produce a colour image when using a monochrome camera.
- To observe specific spectral lines, filters with a precisely defined transmission are required. You can find these line filters listed in the nebula filter category.