More about the series AZ-3...
AC 90/900 optics.
This optics is equipped with an achromatic objective. Because of a special combination of two lenses within the objective, most of the colour aberrations can be corrected. Thus, you do not have to face so many disturbing irregularities as usual with common Fraunhofer refractors. The aperture ratio of 1:10 has an additional positive effect.
The Skywatcher AZ-3 is a practical altazimuth mount, easy-to-use and providing good stability.
It can serve as a base for terrestrial or astronomical observing and support telescopes or spotting scopes up to a maximum weight of 5kg (refractors of up to 120mm aperture and reflectors of up to 150mm diameter).
The AZ-3 has horizontal quick adjustment plus a locking screw, and vertical quick adjustment with a slipper clutch. There is fine adjustment with flexible slow motions available on both axes. The tracking is absolutely smooth and sensitive adjustment and allows fine adjustment even at high magnification.
The vertical angle can be adjusted between 50 and 90 degrees, allowing viewing from the horizon up to nearly the zenith and panning 360°. The AZ-3 mount is hence equally suited for terrestrial and astronomical observing. The telescope/spotting scope is mounted via tube ring clamps.
- altazimuth mount allowing 360° panning and adjustable from the horizon to almost the zenith
- vertical rapid adjustment with slipper clutch
- fine adjustment via flexible slow motions
- aluminium tripod - infinitely adjustable from 70cm to 123cm
- entire weight only approx. 3.9kg, including tripod
Included in delivery:
- AZ-3 altazimuth mount
- height-adjustable tripod
It is not only important which telescope you buy, but also where you buy it.
We provide extra help:
- We are a leading telescope dealer and know these instruments like the back of our hands.
- We are always very happy to offer our assistance after your purchase, should you encounter any problems with your telescope’s setup or operation.
- Our ‘Telescope Basics’ booklet - an 80-page beginner's guide for our telescopes – is provided free of charge with every telescope we sell.
Our expert comment:
Tip: Optimal alignment of AZ-3 mount
The AZ-3 mount is well suited for both terrestrial and astronomical observing.
1. Terrestrial observing
For terrestrial observing, just set the telescope in the AZ-3 in a horizontal position. Slightly loosen the tube ring clamps and push the OTA slightly forwards or backwards so that the tube is balanced and does not tip forwards or backwards. Then re-tighten the clamps.
2. Astronomical observing
- loosen you the large side screw and position the OTA pointing upwards at an angle of about 45°.
- loosen the tube ring clamps slightly and slide the OTA forwards or backwards until optimal balance is achieved. It should not tip forwards or backwards.
- then set the OTA in a horizontal position and tighten the locking screw so that the instrument is just prevented from tipping forwards. This ensures an optimal load distribution on the mount.