The Sky-Watcher AC 102/500 telescope:
An uncomplicated instrument of very short length for viewing the heavens or for terrestrial observing. With a 102mm objective lens, this telescope allows a glimpse of the vastness of the universe at an affordable price. Its short focal length means it can be called a 'rich field' telescope, which allows great wide angle observing. This refractor is has more resolution than a 70mm, meaning you can see greater detail when planetary observing. The resolution is 1.14 arc-seconds. Experience the Andromeda Galaxy or the Orion Nebula almost three-dimensionally, because the gigantic field of view turns your observing into a space walk.
The BlackDiamond series offers something more for the eye than merely its bare technical specifications; its looks make it a real gem. Boasting an elegant design of the highest caliber, the tube and finder scope shimmer in an aesthetic shade of black with a sparkling metallic effect.
The Skywatcher AZ-3 is a practical altazimuth mount, easy-to-use and providing good stability.
It can serve as a base for terrestrial or astronomical observing and support telescopes or spotting scopes up to a maximum weight of 5kg (refractors of up to 120mm aperture and reflectors of up to 150mm diameter).
The AZ-3 has horizontal quick adjustment plus a locking screw, and vertical quick adjustment with a slipper clutch. There is fine adjustment with flexible slow motions available on both axes. The tracking is absolutely smooth and sensitive adjustment and allows fine adjustment even at high magnification.
The vertical angle can be adjusted between 50 and 90 degrees, allowing viewing from the horizon up to nearly the zenith and panning 360°. The AZ-3 mount is hence equally suited for terrestrial and astronomical observing. The telescope/spotting scope is mounted via tube ring clamps.
- altazimuth mount allowing 360° panning and adjustable from the horizon to almost the zenith
- vertical rapid adjustment with slipper clutch
- fine adjustment via flexible slow motions
- aluminium tripod - infinitely adjustable from 70cm to 123cm
- entire weight only approx. 3.9kg, including tripod
Included in delivery:
- AZ-3 altazimuth mount
- height-adjustable tripod
Refractor telescopes with a focal ratio of f5 are particularly suitable for wide field observing at low magnifications.
The 2 inch focuser accepts appropriate wide angle eyepieces such as the Omegon 32mm SWA eyepiece and a 2 inch star diagonal. For observing extended nebulae such NGC7000, a 2 inch nebula filter is an ideal addition 2-Zoll CLS-Filter). All doublet / Fraunhofer telescopes have natural design-related chromatic aberration. This color fringing is no longer to be seen when using a nebula filter however.
Tip: Optimal alignment of AZ-3 mount
The AZ-3 mount is well suited for both terrestrial and astronomical observing.
1. Terrestrial observing
For terrestrial observing, just set the telescope in the AZ-3 in a horizontal position. Slightly loosen the tube ring clamps and push the OTA slightly forwards or backwards so that the tube is balanced and does not tip forwards or backwards. Then re-tighten the clamps.
2. Astronomical observing
- loosen you the large side screw and position the OTA pointing upwards at an angle of about 45°.
- loosen the tube ring clamps slightly and slide the OTA forwards or backwards until optimal balance is achieved. It should not tip forwards or backwards.
- then set the OTA in a horizontal position and tighten the locking screw so that the instrument is just prevented from tipping forwards. This ensures an optimal load distribution on the mount.