This Premium Dobsonian telescope is a large-aperture telescope, optimized in a very light and compact package for extreme portability.
UP12 can be completely folded into a luggage case, or a custom made backpack. With an Hubble UP12, you are free to travel to your favorite dark-sky sites anywhere in the world, by whatever means you want, by car, bus, train, airplane or even by foot. A true 12" travel scope at last!
The UP12 is a perfect balance between a telescope with large light-gathering capability and unbeatable portability. It will be the telescope that gets taken out to be used frequently. It will provide stunning views of the heavens and a lifetime of observing enjoyment.
The UP12 collects 44% more light than a 10" optics, allowing you to resolve significantly fainter objects and more subtle details. With the Hubble UP12, most NGC objects can be found from a dark sky site - they may not be too obvious, but you can chase them down. The Hubble UP12 will reveal the hints of color in bright emission nebula such as the Orion Nebula and some of the brighter planetary nebulae (Blue Snowball, Saturn Nebula and others), incredible detail on Jupiter and, using an H-beta filter, a very distinct Horsehead nebula. Results will vary according to observing conditions and other factors. The Hubble UP12 is a telescope that can provide a lifetime of satisfying observing experiences!
- Exclusive Sandwich Mirror Technology: Hubble optics sandwich mirror technology has been used to manufacture research-grade optical elements and proven by over a half dozen years of successful applications at research facilities such as NASA, California State Polytechnic University San Luis Obispo, for the US Army, and in amateur telescopes around the world. Hubble sandwich mirror’s open core and close back design not only allows air to circulate through the mirror, but also provide the maximum structure strength to allow a simpler mirror cell design. Why is thermal equilibrium so critical? The main issue is "mirror seeing," the turbulence seen through the eyepiece of the telescope when the air above the mirror is different from the mirror itself. Since a sandwich mirror cools far more rapidly than a solid mirror of the same thickness, this major source of distortion is eliminated quickly, giving you sharp and stable views.
- Semi-Enhanced Optical Coatings: The primary mirror is coated with the most recommended (by professionals) 92% Semi-Enhanced optical coatings to assure it collects as many (while scattering as little) photons as possible to focus it into a bright and contrast-rich image. The optimal 92% Semi-enhanced coating has an over-coating of precision controlled dielectric layer to maximize the reflectivity and provide excellent chemical and mechanical protection for the mirror coating. A 96% enhanced optical coating is applied on the secondary mirror.
- Engineered Mirror Support: The Dobson has an extensively modeled and optimized flotation system that provides more than adequate support for the sandwich mirror. The three-point collimation system is completely independent from the sling lateral support. It will totally eliminate the often-found potato chip astigmatism introduced by sling belt when using the simple 3 pivoted bolts collimation system. In a simple pivoted bolts collimation system, the collimation of the primary mirror may cause the sling belt to pull the mirror axially on the mirror edge, bending the mirror to a potato-chip shape, causing annoying astigmatism.
- All Metal Construction: The mechanical structures have been extensively modeled via 3D CAD and advanced FEA to provide the optimal structure strength and stability. Machined with Computer Numerical Control (CNC) technology and hand fitted to assure proper fit and finish. Super strong T6063-T3 aluminum alloy truss tubes, structure steel mirror cell and aluminum alloy OTA and mount structure. Completed with deluxe and environmentally friendly black powder coating, it is such a pleasure to look at, not to mention the enjoyment to look through.
- Linear Drive Crayford Focuser: It's a beautiful piece of precision machining that enhances the viewing experience as well as the overall impression of a premium quality instrument you'll have with this telescope. This focuser is robust! It is a zero-backlash "Crayford-style" design further enhanced with modern "linear bearings" meaning you get a rock-solid, super smooth focusing experience that can handle the weight of even the heaviest of modern eyepieces. Its tension, the pressure on the drawtube, is preset to a very reasonable level, but adjustable to lock heavy equipment in place if desired. The smaller stainless steel focus control adjusts focus at a rate eight times finer than the larger focus wheels. This fine adjustment allows for critical focusing during high power visual observing or for imaging applications.
Some counter (either real or spring load) counter weight is required to balance the scope by design. A rubber band counter weight system is provided as one simple solution. However, you may use your own real counter weight for better result.