LX85: Ideal for ambitious beginners and experienced observers who want to get into astrophotography.
The N 200/1000 telescope - The 200mm aperture allows the observer to see a wealth of detail when deep sky observing. With 78% more light available than a 150mm telescope even the delicate spiral arms of many galaxies and structures in nebulae may be observed. Even globular clusters, such as the famous M13 cluster in Hercules, can be clearly resolved right out to the edge.
The main parabolic mirror is diffraction-limited, providing a sharp image. The very high-contrast image provided by the optics is optimized by use of a small secondary mirror and thin secondary mirror vanes. This also means that equally sharp and bright planetary observing is possible at higher magnifications.
The robust focuser allows the use of two inch eyepieces, and an adapter is included to allow 1.25" eyepieces to be used. Two of these eyepieces are included with the telescope, allowing you to get started observing right away.
The telescope has an aperture ratio of f/5, making this telescope a member of the of the 'fast Newtonian' class instruments. These optics make the telescope particularly good for astrophotography. The eight millimetre finder shows you objects that are invisible to the naked eye alone, and helps you to navigate in the night sky.
The advantages in a nutshell
- high light gathering power thanks to the 200mm aperture
- parabolic main mirror
- well suitable for astrophotography due to its fast optics
The LX85 mount has been designed with astrophotography in mind. With its powerful servomotors and Meade Smart Drive technology, it follows the sky's rotation and keeps the telescope accurately tracking the desired object for long exposure times - and without having to do a meridian flip!
- The LX85 is particularly light and therefore ideal for portable use in the garden or an observing location under a particularly dark sky.
- The AudioStar GoTo control firstcorrectly positions the telescope and then automatically tracks the object you wish to observe. This is also ideal for beginners!
- The LX85 mount allows the connection of an autoguider for precision tracking control.
The LX85 mount follows the usual telescope standards, allowing it to be used with most commercial telescopes up to 15kg in weight. Meade offers the mount together with a wide range of great optics - inexpensive Newtonian telescopes, Maksutovs for lunar and planetary specialists, all-round ACF optics, and even high-quality apochromats for the discerning photographer!
The AudioStar handheld control provides a database of 30,000 astronomical objects. Once aligned to the night sky, AudioStar can position the telescope to point to any of these objects and centre them in the eyepiece - of course only if the object is above the horizon. The GoTo functionality is supplemented by additional features, such as guided tours, position display and connection to a PC.
A special feature of the AudioStar controller is its built-in speaker. The built-in Astronomer Inside technology provides over four hours of audio commentary (in English only). The built-in astronomer will relate interesting information about astronomical objects located in the field of view!
Meade Smart Drive - as the telescope magnifies the astronomical object, an astronomical mount must be very precise. Even small tracking errors will interfere with longer exposure times. Small errors are always there, as the transmission's worm gear cannot be perfectly round. These periodic errors can be detected and compensated for by the computer control. Smart Drive technology makes possible this permanent periodic error correction (PPEC).
It is not only important which telescope you buy, but also where you buy it.
We provide extra help:
- We are a leading telescope dealer and know these instruments like the back of our hands.
- We are always very happy to offer our assistance after your purchase, should you encounter any problems with your telescope’s setup or operation.
- Our ‘Telescope Basics’ booklet - an 80-page beginner's guide for our telescopes – is provided free of charge with every telescope we sell.